Oct 9 2020
Hotstar is a renowned Indian-based subsidiary of the American-based media and entertainment company, Walt Disney. It is India’s most revered video-streaming platform, widely used to stream movies, live sports, and TV shows. You can stream Hotstar content from your laptop, smartphone, iPad, or iPhone. This post about how to cast Hotstar on TV from iPhone.
Sadly, you can’t stream Hotstar from smart TVs. The terms and conditions prohibit screen mirroring of the app’s content. If you want to stream it on a bigger screen, you may have to cast it to the TV from your iPhone using Chromecast, Miracast, and other similar apps.
Why Should I Cast HotStar on TV from an iPhone?
Hotstar offers lots of content streaming options. Some contents can be viewed on smaller screens without worrying about immersion. However, with some movie series, TV episodes, and live streams, you can only enjoy the thrill if you’re watching from a bigger screen.
Also, casting Hotstar from iPhone to TV is easy and quick. Unless you want to be a bit fancy and tech-savvy, you can cast the content to your TV using the readily available hardware and software. For instance, most smart TVs are already mirror-enabled, so with a few affordable hardware purchases, you’ll be good to go.
For Samsung users, here’s how to connect Samsung mobile to Sony Bravia TV.
How to Cast Hotstar on TV From iPhone – Available Methods
For a safe casting experience, you’ve to use these two highly recommended casting options.
- Google chrome browser casting
- iPhone screen mirroring method
What Are the Requirements?
For a successful casting of your iPhone’s Hotstar screen to your smart TV, here is what you need:
- Connection to a strong and steady Wi-Fi network
- An iPhone smartphone
- Google Chromecast
- Smart TV that supports the type of Chromecast you have
- Shareable Wi-Fi network
1. Mirroring Hotstar to your TV from iPhone via Chromecast
Even if your TV is Chromecast-enabled, you can’t cast directly from your iPhone. That’s against Hotstar’s terms and conditions and may attract some penalties. The most practical way out is to use screen mirroring. Screen mirroring enables you to cast your iPhone’s full screen to Smart TV. Once you’ve authorized the screen mirroring function, everything will be sent to your smart TV, including pop-up notifications. Follow the outlined below steps on how to cast Hotstar on TV from iPhone:
- Tap on the Settings icon on your iPhone and launch the settings menu.
- Navigate through the settings until you find the Connected Devices icon.
- Click on it. On the feature options that appear, select connected preferences.
- On the connected preferences menu, choose the cast feature.
- Tap on it, and on the screen that appears, navigate to the list of devices.
- Click on Chromecast smart TV and allow it to connect to your iPhone.
- After you’re done, you’ll notice the entire screen has been cast on your Chromecast smart TV.
- Launch the Hotstar app and start watching your favorite movies, series, or even TV series.
You have to ensure that both your iPhone and smart TV are linked to the same Wi-Fi network. Depending on your preferences, you can open the Hotstar app via chrome or download it to your iPhone device.
2. Mirroring Hotstar from iPhone to your TV using google chrome browser
This is another idea on how to cast Hotstar on TV from iPhone if the idea of screen mirroring doesn’t rhyme too well with your lifestyle or personal preferences. These are the basic steps to follow:
- Connect your iPhone to the internet
- Head to your iPhone and launch the chrome browser
- Search and open Hotstar. Click on page with hotstar.com as its main URL
- Once directed to the Hotstar website, click login
- Enter your login details. Ensure you enter the correct login details.
- Once you’ve successfully logged in, identify one video or movie, and play it.
- As the movie or TV series you selected is streaming, head to the top left section of the screen and tap on the 3-dotted icons.
- Select the casting option from the list of options.
- Look for the Chromecast TV you’re streaming from the suggested list.
- Select the sources icon and tap the cast tab.
- The content you were streaming will be cast on your Google Chromecast smart TV.
What Problems Am I Likely to Encounter When Casting iPhone Screen to Smart TV?
When casting your iPhone screen to your smart TV, you’re going to experience various snags, and it’s only good you know how to handle them. Here are some of such problems and how to solve them.
- Chromecast doesn’t appear in my cast options: Chromecast will not appear as a cast option if it’s not connected correctly. You may have to restart it to see if it works.
- Chromecast is not connecting to my Wi-Fi: Chromecast may not connect if it has not discovered your Wi-Fi network. You need to move your Wi-Fi router closer to the smart TV for the network to be found for a smooth connection.
- My iPhone doesn’t offer the casting option: If your phone doesn’t detect the cast, chances are high, the Chromecast is off, or the two devices aren’t connected to the same network. Remember, the two devices must be linked from the same Wi-Fi network, and if they’re not, you won’t cast successfully.
- Casting cannot be stopped: Once you’re connected, and your favorite content is being cast to your smart TV, you may want to control or stop it. If your iPhone smartphone does not offer you the option of controlling the casting, you may be forced to restart the devices. You should restart the iPhone first, and if that fails, you will have to reconnect and connect back to the Google Chromecast.
- The Chromecast quality is relatively low: Chromecast is designed to detect and play the highest quality of the content cast to it. In case the quality of the Hotstar streamed content is too low, it simply means that you’re having a network problem. If that’s not the case, your smart TV HDMI settings aren’t well set.