Jun 10 2020
If you buy a Roku box, streaming stick, or TV, you will get a wireless remote control with it. Roku remotes work with infrared light, and that is why they work only when there is a line of sight. However, these remotes do not need pairing. But if you are using a remote that uses Bluetooth or RF, the line of sight is not needed.
The goal of this post is to show you how to connect a Roku Remote. Before you start using such a remote, you have to pair it with your Roku device. To see if your Roku player or TV response, press some buttons of the remote control. If it does not work, you are yet to pair your remote.
Pairing Your Roku Infrared Remote
If you get an IR remote with your Roku device, the first step is to insert the batteries. The batteries can be either AAA or AA. Then find out the buttons you are going to use, and then push the buttons. This procedure does not require any additional pairing. The Roku models listed below are compatible with IR remotes.
- Roku HD, XD, and XDS
- Roku LT
- Roku 1, 2 and 3
- Roku N1
- XD, Roku HD, and XDR
- Express and Express+
- Select Roku TVs
Pairing a Roku Point Anywhere Remote
If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, it will perfectly work with your Point Anywhere remote. But that may not be the case with Roku TVs. Different models of Roku TVs use different models of remotes. To learn how to connect a Roku remote, you must know if you are working with a Roku enhanced remote. To know if it is a Roku Enhanced remote, see if it has at least one of the following features.
- Power button
- Remote finder alert
- Voice control
- Headphone jack
If it is an enhanced or Point Anywhere remote, it can be paired with your Roku TV. The following instructions will help you pair the remote with the TV:
- Insert the batteries.
- Turn on the TV.
- Keep the remote close to your Roku Device.
Resetting Your Roku Remote
If your remote no longer works, you should seriously consider resetting the paring. Now we are going to show you the right way to reset your Roku remote.
- Unplug the Roku device.
- Remove the batteries.
- Plug it back in after a few seconds.
- Replace the remote batteries when the Roku logo appears on the screen.
- The screen will show options for pairing with the remote.
- Find the pairing button in the battery compartment, press, and hold it.
- If the remote is paired, your TV will show a prompt.
Adding a New Remote
You can control your Roku TV with another remote. It is more convenient if you are using a gaming remote. If you want to learn how you connect a Roku remote, you should also learn how to add a new remote. On compatible games, it can accommodate multiple gamers. Here is how you can add a new remote:
- First, go to Home Menu and then head to Settings.
- When the options appear, select “Remote”.
- Go to the sub-menus and then select “Pair Remote”.
- The screen will display which remote is currently being used.
- Click “Right Arrow”.
- The screen will display the instructions that you need to pair the remote.
- If you are unable to pair on your first attempt, try again.
Unpairing a Roku Remote
As a Roku remote user, you know that this remote can have different types of issues. Sometimes you can resolve an issue by simply unpairing your Roku remote. Luckily, the process of unpairing is not difficult at all. Here is how you can do it:
- Find the Paring, Back and Home buttons and press and hold them simultaneously. Do it for 4-6 seconds.
- Notice if the indicator light starts blinking. It is supposed to blink 3 times.
- Unpairing can be confirmed by pressing some buttons. Notice if your Roku player or TV responds. If there is no response, unpairing has been successful.
How to Sync Your Roku Remote
Your Roku remote may not come with a pairing button. If it is an IR type remote, it will not have any pairing button. In such a case, you may find it a bit hard to sync your remote. Syncing your remote is a must if you want to understand how to connect a Roku remote. Here is how you can do it without much pain:
- Remove obstructions. If you are using an Infrared Roku remote, it will not work until it is directly pointed at your TV or player. If there is an object between your TV and your remote, the remote is not going to sync. The signal will easily get blocked by any object. So, if you want to sync it properly, remove obstructions.
- Reset batteries. Before you sync your remote, make sure that the batteries are properly seated in the compartment. If they are not, you can fix this issue by removing them and putting them in place again. Then try using the remote to see if the issue has been resolved.
- Replace the batteries. If resetting the batteries or removing obstructions did not work, replacing the batteries may be the solution. The procedure is as simple as throwing away the old batteries and getting new ones. Once you have done that, chances are that your remote will start syncing.
There are some Roku remotes with both Infra-Red and wireless technologies. They seamlessly control your Roku TV and player. Some knowledge of troubleshooting is always good for those who want to learn how to connect a Roku remote. If you can not control your Roku TV with your remote, the following measures may help you:
If the player does not play music even after you have used the volume button, make sure that the device you are trying to play supports HDMI. For example, there are some overhead projectors without speakers.
During set up, your Roku remote may not be able to mute the music. In such a situation, there is still something you can do to fix the issue. The screen will show you a menu where you will be asked to enter the name of the TV you are using. It will probably help you get your remote programmed. But if it does not work, pay attention to the following things:
- Probably multiple devices are connected to your Roku TV or player. Try temporarily removing a device to see if the particular device is causing any issue. The device that has been removed may be compatible with your Roku enhanced remote.
- There are some TV brands such as Olufsen and Bang that are not supported.
The manual contains solutions to the most common issues with Roku remote. If you are dealing with a unique problem, don’t worry. It has a solution. You just have to find the solution.
Connecting a Roku remote is pretty easy. By reading the instructions, you can do it even if you have never used a Roku remote. In this post, we have discussed how to connect a Roku remote, and hopefully, you will find the discussion helpful. If you still face any problem, chances are that you will find an easy solution online.