Once upon a time, there was a mermaid named Madison who captured the hearts of millions in the 1984 hit movie, Splash. However, when Disney Plus recently added the beloved film to their streaming service, fans were shocked to discover that something was missing. What did Disney Plus remove from Splash? The answer may surprise you. In this article, we will dive deep into the controversy and explore the reasons behind Disney’s decision to make changes to this classic film.
1. The Controversy Surrounding Disney Plus’ Removal of a Scene from Splash
Disney Plus, the streaming service of the Walt Disney Company, has recently come under fire for removing a scene from the 1984 film Splash. The scene in question features Daryl Hannah’s character, a mermaid named Madison, emerging from the ocean and briefly exposing her bare buttocks. The decision to remove the scene has sparked controversy among fans of the film and critics alike.
Some argue that the removal of the scene is an unnecessary act of censorship that undermines the artistic integrity of the film. Others contend that the scene is outdated and inappropriate for modern audiences, particularly given the film’s family-friendly rating. Regardless of one’s stance on the matter, it is clear that Disney Plus’ decision has reignited a larger conversation about the role of censorship in media and the importance of preserving original works of art.
- Arguments in favor of the scene’s removal:
- The scene is outdated and inappropriate for modern audiences.
- The film is rated PG and marketed as family-friendly, making the scene unsuitable for its intended audience.
- Removing the scene does not significantly alter the plot or impact the overall viewing experience.
- Arguments against the scene’s removal:
- The removal of the scene undermines the artistic integrity of the film.
- Censorship sets a dangerous precedent for future alterations to classic films.
- The scene is brief and non-explicit, making it an unnecessary target for censorship.
2. What Was Cut from the Classic Film and Why?
When it comes to classic films, there are often scenes or elements that were cut from the final product. Sometimes these cuts are made for time constraints, while other times they are made for creative reasons. Here are a few examples of what was cut from some beloved classic films and why:
- The Wizard of Oz: In the original script, there was a scene where the Tin Man was going to sing a song called “The Jitterbug.” However, this scene was cut because it didn’t advance the plot and would have added unnecessary time to the film.
- The Godfather: There was a subplot in the book that the film was based on involving Johnny Fontane’s relationship with a Hollywood actress. However, this subplot was cut from the film because director Francis Ford Coppola felt it didn’t fit with the overall tone of the story.
While it can be disappointing to learn that some of our favorite scenes were left on the cutting room floor, it’s important to remember that these decisions were made for a reason. Whether it was to keep the film at a reasonable length or to maintain the integrity of the story, these cuts were made with the audience’s experience in mind.
3. The Debate Over Censorship and Cultural Sensitivity in the Modern Era
As society becomes increasingly diverse, the debate over censorship and cultural sensitivity has become more prominent. While some argue that censorship is necessary to protect certain groups from offensive material, others believe that it stifles free speech and artistic expression. Similarly, some advocate for cultural sensitivity in media and entertainment, while others argue that it is impossible to please everyone and that artists should have the freedom to create without fear of offending.
- On one hand, proponents of censorship argue that it is necessary to protect marginalized groups from harmful stereotypes and discrimination. They believe that certain forms of media, such as hate speech or pornography, should be restricted in order to create a more inclusive and respectful society.
- On the other hand, opponents of censorship argue that it violates the First Amendment and limits artistic expression. They believe that individuals should be free to express themselves without fear of government intervention, and that censorship can lead to a slippery slope of further restrictions on free speech.
Similarly, the debate over cultural sensitivity centers around the idea of respecting different cultures and avoiding harmful stereotypes. Some argue that media and entertainment should be more inclusive and representative of diverse perspectives, while others believe that artists should not be limited by political correctness or the fear of offending certain groups.
- Advocates for cultural sensitivity argue that it is important to recognize the impact of media on society and to promote positive representations of marginalized groups. They believe that media has the power to shape public opinion and that it is important to use this power responsibly.
- Opponents of cultural sensitivity argue that it is impossible to please everyone and that artists should have the freedom to create without fear of offending. They believe that art should be judged on its own merits, rather than on its adherence to certain political or social agendas.
4. How Does This Decision Reflect Disney’s Evolving Values and Priorities?
Disney’s Evolving Values and Priorities
Disney’s decision to release “Mulan” directly to Disney+ instead of a traditional theatrical release reflects the company’s evolving values and priorities. Here are some ways in which this decision reflects Disney’s changing approach:
- Emphasis on Streaming: Disney has been placing more emphasis on its streaming services, and the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated this trend. By releasing “Mulan” on Disney+, the company is able to attract more subscribers and generate revenue from its streaming platform.
- Global Market: The decision to release “Mulan” directly to Disney+ also reflects Disney’s focus on the global market. With the pandemic affecting theatrical releases around the world, Disney is able to reach a wider audience through its streaming platform.
Overall, Disney’s decision to release “Mulan” directly to Disney+ is a reflection of the company’s evolving values and priorities. As the entertainment industry continues to change, it will be interesting to see how Disney adapts and evolves to meet the needs of its audience.
5. The Impact of Splash’s Edited Version on Fans and Film History
When Disney+ announced that they would be releasing a new edited version of the 1984 film Splash, fans were both excited and apprehensive. The original film featured a brief scene where Daryl Hannah’s character, a mermaid named Madison, is shown topless. This scene was edited out of the new version, which sparked a debate among fans about censorship and artistic integrity.
- Some fans argued that the scene was unnecessary and didn’t add anything to the story.
- Others felt that it was an important part of the film’s history and should have been left intact.
- Many also pointed out that the decision to edit the scene was made without input from the film’s director, Ron Howard, or its stars, Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah.
Regardless of where fans stand on the issue, it’s clear that the edited version of Splash will have an impact on both fans and film history. It raises important questions about censorship, artistic integrity, and who gets to decide what is appropriate for audiences to see. It also highlights the ongoing debate about how to balance the preservation of classic films with modern sensibilities.
6. What Can We Learn from Disney Plus’ Handling of This Situation?
Disney Plus has faced several challenges since its launch, including technical glitches and content availability issues. However, the recent controversy surrounding the release of the movie Mulan in China has highlighted the importance of cultural sensitivity and ethical considerations in the entertainment industry. Here are some key takeaways from Disney Plus’ handling of this situation:
- Transparency is crucial: Disney Plus was upfront about the decision to release Mulan in China and acknowledged the controversy surrounding the film. This helped to build trust with its audience and demonstrate a commitment to ethical practices.
- Listen to feedback: The backlash against Mulan highlighted the need for Disney to listen to feedback from its audience and take their concerns seriously. This can help to avoid future controversies and ensure that content is culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Consider the impact of content: The controversy surrounding Mulan shows that entertainment companies have a responsibility to consider the impact of their content on different cultures and communities. This can help to avoid offending audiences and damaging the reputation of the company.
Overall, Disney Plus’ handling of the Mulan controversy provides valuable lessons for the entertainment industry. By prioritizing transparency, listening to feedback, and considering the impact of content, companies can build trust with their audience and ensure that their content is culturally sensitive and appropriate.
In conclusion, Disney Plus has made the decision to remove a controversial scene from the beloved film, Splash. While some may argue that this move is an attempt to erase history, others see it as a step towards progress and inclusivity. Regardless of where you stand on the issue, it’s important to remember that films are a reflection of the society in which they were made, and as our values and beliefs evolve, so too must our media. As we continue to navigate the complexities of representation in entertainment, let us strive towards creating a more inclusive and equitable future for all.